Thursday, November 13, 2008

Howard's such a great unassisted birth partner!

I know most people just think it's entirely insane and most likey irresponsible but sometime in my 6th pregnancy I made a decision to have our baby without the help of a midwife, or anyone for that matter. The number one reason was money of course. (now I realize that if you're too poor to pay for the birth of your children you probably won't be very able to pay for later and greater expenses as they grow up either! But it is so much fun for me!)At the first part of my pregnancy with Emerik I had hired Liz Camp from St George and I loved her. I think we made a trip to NM around that time and I felt like I didn't want to spend anymore money. Then I read about other womens unassisted birthing experiences on the internet. (some of my most profound discoveries come from other people and are not my original thoughts unfortunately.) THe thought had ocured to me but I thought I must be out of my mind. I jokingly mentioned it to Howard and he just was all gung hoe on the idea! That shocked me and I told him NO WAY! Little by little I got more comfortable with it and then very excited. I learned all I could about the risks of birthing. (It's not as risky as you would think, or should I say as doctors would have you believe!) I had already learned that laying down is a ridiculous way to have a baby. I had had Zach and Zeke while sitting on the toilet accidentally! Kiara's birth was excruciatingly difficult and I was in the typical position, on my back with my knees up being told to PUSH! As Emeriks due date approached I definately had some fear. All the "what ifs" you could think of. I tried to spend most of the time in the bath tub because I had heard so many times that the water is soothing etc. Not for me really. Of course I decided that I REALLY had to go to the bathroom and promised Howard AGAIN that I would not stay there long and certainly would not have the baby there! Dang it! But think about it...isn't the toilet the most comfortable place to push? Not very sanitary and quite horrifying though! Since Emeriks birth almost 7 years ago this Saturday, I have done it 3 more times and it has been so amazing! Howard loves it. With the last 3, Thad, Quade, and Rowan, I turned the shower on very slow pressure and just stayed there the whole time. Of course it helps if your labor only lasts for 45 minutes like Quades did! or an hour and a half like Thads! Rowans was a little longer. Started about 7PM while Howard was still working in Parowan and had him around 9:30 I think....half to look that up. I was a little scared that Howard wouldn't make it! I did get out once to sit on the toilet but wouldn't allow myself to stay there. I LOVE shower births because all the yuckiness of birth just goes right down the drain! I guess that's why I don't like baths. It's really great that Howard gets so into the births and has been such a big part of them. With Rowan I almost did it entirely by myself though even though Howard was in the shower with me. I had thought I let him do the catching but I guess I did that but his hands were there on the baby as well. The minute I saw the little mas I just started laughing and handed him to Howard. Look, it's a boy! The whole pregnany I had told EVERYONE it was a girl! I havd been right with all the others. Lucky guessing I guess. It's not that I WANTED a girl more than a boy it's just that I knew that he was a girl! I didn't even bother to get boy clothes out for him. EVERYTHING was pink! It was so great! And No I'm really not planning another one! I'm planning to go to work as soon as Rowan is in school, maybe before!

Thad 2001 Photobucket Quade 2005 Photobucket Rowan 2007 Photobucket

No comments: